What Am I?
I am going to give you 10 clues. See how soon you can guess What Am I? It is always interesting to see the answers you come up with. The answer will appear next week.
01. I am found all over the world.
02. I am considered to be an omen of good fortune.
03. There are about 5,000 different species of me.
04. I secrete a foul tasting toxin from my knees when I am in danger.
05. I come in bright red, bright orange, and bright yellow with distinctive dark spots. The bright colors remind birds and other predators that I taste bad so they leave me alone.
06. During the Middle Ages in Europe the farmers' crops were overrun by insects and the crops were dying. In desperation the farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary to save their crops. I appeared and began eating the pests. The farmers called me "the beetle of Our Lady".
07. During my lifetime I might consume as many as 5,000 aphids. They are my favorite food.
08. There is some evidence that I lay both fertilized and unfertilized eggs. The unfertilized eggs can be used as food for my young and perhaps for me.
09. The number of spots I have do not tell my age. They are an indication of my species.
10. Pardon me. I have to fly away home. My house is on fire and my children are alone.
What Am I?