What Am I?
01. I am one of the world's greatest mysteries. No one is sure where I came from or why. Theories include an ancient burial place, a formation made by space aliens, Druids, Beaker Folk, Greeks, and Atlanteans. Some also believe I was made by followers of King Arthur. I may also be a calendar or an astronomical tool.
02. I am made of two different types of stones... bluestones and Sarsen stones. Both may have come from hundreds of miles away.
03. I align with the midsummer sunrise, the midwinter sunset, and the most northerly setting and most southerly rising of the moon.
04. My outermost part is a ditch believed to have been dug using deer antlers.
05. The chalky rubble taken from the ditch was then used to create a bank inside the circular ditch.
06. Inside the bank circle are 56 shallow holes. These holes may have been used as burial places for cremated remains.
07. Parallel upright stones were placed in a circular pattern, although not necessarily at the same time. The stones are placed so that the larger part faces the center of the circle.
08. There is some evidence that an inner circle of stones was also built. This is only supposition at this time.
09. A horizontal capstone known as a lintel was placed to connect two upright stones at a time. They are secured in place by dovetail joints.
10. I am the property of the British Crown.
What Am I?